Academic Policies

This section details department policies and procedures concerning completion of the curricula. In addition, each student is responsible for seeking out and complying with policies of the School of Engineering and the University. These are contained in the current Undergraduate Catalog of the University, or in sources referred to therein.
Transfer Admission Standards. All applications from transfer students either from other KU units or from other institutions are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. In general, students with grade-point averages under 2.5 are not considered for admission. If you have questions or concerns about this, please contact the BSIT Academic Success Coach.
Transfer Credits. The University accepts and will place on the student's permanent KU record credits for all academic courses taken at an accredited college or university. Vocational and remedial courses are excluded. Not all courses accepted by the University will apply toward a degree in engineering. A student will not receive engineering degree transfer credit for:

  • Courses in which the grade was lower than C, or which were graded credit/no-credit or pass/fail
  • More than 64 hours from community or junior colleges
  • Courses in advanced engineering sciences or engineering design unless they were taken in an engineering program accredited by ABET or CSAB.

To clearly document the application of engineering transfer course credits toward a specific degree in engineering, there is a "transfer contract" form, to be completed by the student and submitted for approval by the appropriate Department and School representatives. This process should normally be completed no later than the student's first semester in the Department.

In cases where it appears that a strong case can be made for transferring freshman or sophomore-level courses from an international school, or other school from which credits are not routinely accepted by the School of Engineering, a process called "Advanced Standing Credit by Validation" is available. Information about this process and the necessary forms are available from the KU Edwards EECS Office, 250 BEST. All such validations should be petitioned during the student's first semester in the KU Edwards EECS Office, 250 BEST. 

Academic Requirements. All School of Engineering undergraduates are subject to certain academic requirements (detailed in the Undergraduate Catalog) which call in part for maintaining a GPA of 2.0 or better, and which provide for academic probation and eventual dismissal from the School for failure to do so. You are expected to be familiar with these requirements.

Progress through the curriculum requires not just passing all courses required for a particular degree, but passing them at certain levels and/or in the proper sequence. 

Course Prerequisites and Corequisites. You must pass (at the appropriate grade level) all prerequisite courses for a given course before taking the following course. If Course A is a Corequisite for Course B, Course A must be taken in the same semester as Course B or be completed prior to taking Course B. 

Graduation Requirements. In addition to completing each of the required and elective courses listed in the curriculum: You must attain a cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.0 in courses applied toward the degree. 

1. You must also have a KU cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 whether or not all courses are being applied to the degree.

2.  You must attain a cumulative grade-point average of at least 2.0 in all courses taken in the
School of Engineering, including courses not applied toward a degree.

3.  If you entered with advanced standing (transfer credit), you must attain a cumulative grade- point average of at least 2.0 in the resident courses applied toward the degree and at least a 2.0 in all courses taken in the school.

4.  You must take the last 30 hours of credit toward the degree at KU and be officially enrolled in the School of Engineering during this time.
Readmission. Under various circumstances a student may leave the School of Engineering. Depending upon the reason for leaving and the student's current status, there are different procedures to be followed to be reconsidered for the BSIT program:
1.  If you leave the School of Engineering but remain a student in good standing at the University of Kansas and then wish to return to the School of Engineering, you would file an Application for Change of School.

2.  If you leave the School of Engineering and the University of Kansas and then wish to return to the School of Engineering, you would file an Application for Readmission. (Applications are available online at: or in the KU Edwards EECS Office, 250 BEST).

3.  If you have been dismissed from the School of Engineering for poor scholarship, you must not only file the appropriate application mentioned in 1 or 2 above, but you must also file a Petition for Reinstatement to the School of Engineering. Petition forms are available from the KU Edwards EECS Office, 250 BEST. The signed petition must be turned in to the Dean's office for review and decision.
If you have completed additional course work since being dropped from the School of Engineering or leaving the University, you will need to include an up-to-date transcript or a combination of a previous transcript and grade reports for all subsequent work.

University Course Repeat Policy. You can view the Course Repeat Policy at: The BSIT Academic Success Coach can provide answers to specific questions.
Academic Misconduct. The BSIT program and EECS Department regard academic misconduct as a very serious matter. Students who violate conduct policies will be subject to severe penalties, up through and including dismissal from the School of Engineering. Please refer to the Student Handbook web site under Codes Policies, Laws & Guidelines at for specific guidelines about actions considered to be academic misconduct and the repercussions of such action.
These actions include, but are not limited to disruption of classes, threatening an instructor or fellow student in an academic setting; giving or receiving of unauthorized aid on examinations or in the preparation of notebooks, themes, reports or other assignments; knowingly misrepresenting the source of any academic work; unauthorized changing of grades; unauthorized use of University approvals or forging of signatures; falsification of research results; plagiarizing of another's work; violation of regulations or ethical codes for the treatment of human and animal subjects; or otherwise acting dishonestly in research.

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today