Academic Success Coach

Jenny Parr, BSIT Academic Success Coach

Jenny Parr, MA
Academic Success Coach
BS Information Technology

Scheduling Your Time. Obtaining a degree in Information Technology requires a commitment to organization and planning, as well as dedicating a large portion of time to in- class work, lab-work, and homework.

Time is probably the most important factor when deciding how many classes to take each semester. If you have job or family commitments, you need to consider taking fewer courses in order to successfully proceed through the curriculum. We suggest planning for two to three hours out-of-class study time for every one hour spent in the classroom. Students are strongly discouraged from violating the following "60-hour rule": (Total-credit-hours x 3) + weekly- employment-hours <= 60 hours. If you are not closely following the Suggested Course Plan for your degree, you should develop and keep current a complete plan of study for your degree. This should be done at each semester's meeting with the BSIT Undergraduate Advisor (see below).
Orientation. Each entering transfer student is encouraged to attend one of the Edwards Campus orientation programs. Edwards Campus orientation programs generally are offered in the late afternoon/evening in January, April, and July.  At each orientation program, students are advised on course selection for their initial semester and given the opportunity to enroll. Students who cannot attend an orientation program may confer with the BSIT Academic Success Coach.

General Procedures. After the initial orientation advising, every BSIT undergraduate will continue to be advised by the BSIT Academic Success Coach and faculty advisor. You should consult with the Academic Success Coach at enrollment time and at any other time when questions or problems arise concerning your progress at the University or your professional future.  We also encourage you to meet with your faculty advisor not only during academic advising times, but throughout your academic career as BSIT faculty have years of IT industry experience.
All continuing BSIT students are to enroll during the regular enrollment periods that occur about half-way through a given semester for courses to be taken in the subsequent semester, i.e. in October/November for the following Spring semester, and in March/April for the following Summer session and Fall semester. Residual enrollment is only for new students and for continuing students who, for very good reasons, were unable to utilize the regular enrollment periods.
Each semester, a few days ahead of the start of enrollment itself, you are required to meet with your BSIT Faculty Advisor to plan your schedule and discuss other academic and career interests. The BSIT Academic Success Coach will contact you to remind you to set up an advising appointment prior to your online enrollment time.  Prior to this advising period, you should schedule an appointment with your BSIT Faculty Advisor. At the time of the appointment you should bring an Academic Program Planning Form filled out with preliminary course selections. You should also arrive with definite notions (preferably written down so they will not be forgotten) about both (a) what you are sure of in terms of plans for the coming semester and about degree requirements in general, and (b) what you are unsure of that you need to discuss. This will make it possible for you and your BSIT Faculty Advisor to deal effectively with whatever problems or concerns you have. You both must sign your Academic Program Planning Form before you will be allowed to enroll.
You are also encouraged to call on the BSIT Academic Success Coach any time during the school year if you wish to change your schedule or discuss any other school or career related matters. Consultation is strongly encouraged before making schedule changes.

Scheduling Appointments. To schedule an appointment with the BSIT Academic Success Coach, you can call or email directly at 913-897-8623 and Alternately, you can also contact the KU Edwards Welcome Center at 913-897- 8539 to arrange a time. Appointments can be made in-person or  by phone. You should plan on meeting for 45 minutes to an hour.

Policies. There are a number of Department and School policies concerning course selection and enrollment in both engineering and non-engineering courses. Many of these are discussed below. For further information see the latest University catalog. Also, you should regularly check the BSIT website:
Important notices regarding advising and enrollment are sent to your KU student email account; make sure you check your KU email account regularly or arrange to have your KU account email forwarded to another account that you check regularly.
Change of Major. If you wish to change majors within the School of Engineering, you must complete a Change of Major form.If you wish to change your major to something other than engineering, you need to complete a Change of School form. See the BSIT Academic Success Coach if you have any questions completing either of these forms. 

Concerns and Questions. Any concerns or questions about your experience in the BSIT program (i.e. classroom experience, grading, etc.) should be brought to the attention of the BSIT Program Director as soon as possible. We are committed to continuous improvement, and we want to provide you with the best educational experience possible.
Curriculum Changes. When degree requirements are revised, students already admitted to that degree and making normal progress toward that degree generally have two options: (1) change to the revised curriculum, or (2) continue under the curriculum in effect when entering the degree program. If no additional time is needed for completion, it is generally advisable to choose the new curriculum.
Double Major. If you wish to double-major (earn two degrees), you must fulfill all the requirements for the degrees in question. You must also consult the Engineering Dean's office and the department and/or school of the second major to find out if there are any additional requirements.
Graduate Courses. Courses 700-999 are designed for graduate students. Undergraduates may NOT enroll in courses numbered 800-999. An undergraduate student may not enroll in an EECS course numbered 700-799 unless the student's engineering GPA is 3.0 or higher. In addition, it is strongly recommended that the student have a grade of B or higher in each prerequisite course.
Limitation on Enrollment in Engineering Courses. After the 5th day of classes, enrollment in a course offered by the School of Engineering is permissible only with approval of the instructor and special permission of the dean. The School of Engineering reserves the right to deny admission to courses offered by the school to any student who is officially enrolled in another division of the university and who does not meet the standards established by the School of Engineering for admission or readmission.
Minimum and Maximum Enrollments. The maximum enrollment without the permission of the Dean of the School of Engineering is 19 hours in a semester and 9 hours in a summer session. There is no general minimum enrollment. However, for a particular student, a minimum enrollment requirement may be specified by the terms of a scholarship, student visa, or readmission agreement.
Substitutions. There are frequently times when it is necessary or desirable to make substitutions for a required course. This may occur when courses are transferred from another institution, or when there is a sound reason to substitute a course that lies outside the stated guidelines of the stated curriculum. Substitutions fall into one of the following four categories. Specific forms for cases 2, 3, and 4 are available from the KU Edwards EECS Office, 250 BEST.
Case 1: Courses transferred from another institution that automatically fulfill a course requirement. This occurs when the DPR (Degree Progress Report) Advising Report shows this course with the necessary KU course equivalent number. These courses should also appear in the appropriate requirement slots of the DPR and DPR Checklist, but if they don't, the BSIT Academic Success Coach will assist you. (The DPR is a computer generated form that shows all courses for which KU gives you credit hours and other pertinent information to track your progress as a student at KU).
Case 2: Technical courses transferred from another accredited institution that clearly contain the appropriate course material for required courses, but do not appear on the DPR with the necessary KU course number. In this case, a Transfer Contract form should be filled out, signed by your faculty advisor and then sent to the undergraduate committee. The associate dean of the School of Engineering will then review for the final decision.
Case 3: Courses transferred from another institution or KU courses that may contain the appropriate course material for required courses, but this equivalence is not obvious. In this case, a Course Substitution Petition should be filled out, signed by your faculty advisor, and then sent to the undergraduate committee. The associate dean of the School of Engineering will then review for the final decision. If at all possible, these petitions are to be submitted for approval before the substituting courses are taken, and in any case at the earliest possible time.
Case 4: Engineering courses which are not routinely transferred to the University of Kansas (for example, courses taken at a foreign university), but for which strong reasons can be advanced for their applicability toward degree requirements. In these cases, a petition for Advanced Standing Credit by Validation should be filled out. Case 4 applies only to 100- and 200- level (freshman and sophomore) courses.

Case 5: Courses considered more rigorous than the courses required may be considered to fulfill a degree requirement through a petition using a Transfer Contract or Course Substitution Petition. The following course substitutions are routinely approved:

ACCT 205: ACCT 200 or equivalent
ECON 104: ECON 142 or ECON 144 or equivalent
MATH 101: MATH 104 or equivalent
PHSX 114: PHSX 211 (PHSX 211/216 if taken fall 2013 or after) or equivalent

Dropping a Course

General Information. Dropping courses should be avoided, since dropping almost always carries consequences of some sort; it is better to plan carefully. During advising and enrollment students will be strongly discouraged from enrolling in more courses than they can realistically be expected to complete. The practice of over enrolling and dropping excess courses denies other students the opportunity to enroll in the first place. If a student is insistent about
enrolling in more courses than the faculty advisor believes is appropriate, the faculty advisor may choose to approve 'with reservations', by recording these reservations on the Academic Program Planning Form.
Even with careful planning, however, you may at some point wish to drop a course that you have already enrolled in. The BSIT Academic Success Coach should always be consulted before making changes to your class schedule. The BSIT Academic Success Coach will assist if additional consultation is needed with your faculty advisor or the BSIT program director.
Procedural Details. Deadline dates and the latest information on dropping procedures and conditions for a given semester are available in the University academic calendar (currently available at in effect for that semester. To complete a drop, you must also meet with the BSIT Academic Success Coach and complete the Engineering Drop form.

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today